Shabby Blog Background

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Together Again



My former co-anchor, Jerry Hayes, and I took to the stage last night for the first time since I left Channel 19 three years ago (has it really been three years??). The picture is terrible because Chris took it with his phone. Love that giant shadow across my chest :)

Jerry told the audience he was calling it the "Jerry Hayes/Amy George One Night Only World Reunion Tour." Whatever you call it, we had a blast emceeing the 2010 Dog Ball benefiting the Greater Huntsville Humane Society!

I have blogged before about my relationship with Jerry. He is such a dear friend. When we anchored together, he jokingly called himself my "other husband" which was actually true because I spent more time with him each day than I did Chris. TV news is a crazy business.

Jerry knew about both of my pregnancies before my friends did, and he kept the secret for a long time (the man is a vault!) before we told anyone. Then when Melissa died, I wrote a statement and requested that Jerry only read it on-air. And he did, with tears in his eyes and his voice cracking.

I think the reason we "worked" as an anchor team is because we were such great friends. I will never forget a consultant coming in town once to observe our news team and he told the news director, "I can't get over how much they like each other!" He told us of so many anchor teams he worked with where the co-anchors only spoke when they were on the set. Otherwise, there was no relationship. I can't imagine that because there has got to be such a trust factor when you are on-air together. So many things can go wrong out there. There are countless times on air when Jerry and I bailed each other out and the viewer never knew it. That's why I don't think you can fake chemistry.

Last night was so much fun, and hopefully some of the shelter dogs that were there are being adopted by loving families today! And of course, if you are interested, the Greater Huntsville Humane Society always has animals who need a home. Check them out here.

No comments: