Shabby Blog Background

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Worst!

I have dreaded this day since it first happened to Ann Catherine a year and a half ago.

And as it creeped closer, I have dreaded it even more.

Lily Baker's 4-year-old checkup.

If you have older children, you know the one.

The one with five vaccinations.

FIVE shots.

I have had lots of shots in my lifetime, but five at once?!

Yes, my children got lots of shots as babies but I could handle those. After all, they had no idea what was coming. Yes, it was sad, but when it was over it's not like they remembered it.

When they are older, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

LB was such a trooper. AC had strep last week and had to get a shot, so she was a little worried that a trip to the doctor meant she was getting a shot. On the way into the clinic this morning she asked, "Mommy, will I get a shot?"

I knew I couldn't lie to her, but I also didn't want to freak her out before her appointment. So I just said, "We'll just have to see what the doctor says."

(At least I was prepared this time. When AC had her four-year-old checkup, I had no idea what was coming. But this time, I knew. I made sure to pack Ibuprofen, Lily's favorite drink - orange juice - her beloved Bunny and her Jesse doll. And I prayed a lot yesterday for my own sanity :)

So we went into the room and she had her checkup. Everything was great! LB is doing exactly what she should be doing at this age and has no health problems. Then the doctor left and I told her we would have to wait until the nurse came back. (I know the nurse and had already asked, "Are you fast?!")

So in she came and I said, "LB, I have to put you on the table" and she happily agreed. Unlike Ann Catherine, LB isn't at all afraid of going to the doctor and was happy to comply.

Then she saw the nurses laying out the five bandaids. And then she saw the needles.

"Are you going to give me a shot?" she asked with part sadness/part "I knew this was going to happen."

"I am," the nurse said, "but I'll be quick."

"Okay," LB answered sadly. She just sat there. No tears at all.

Had this been Ann Catherine, the wailing would have already begun. She would have screamed and cried and flailed her arms. It would have been all I could do to hold her.

LB did not shed a tear.

I laid her back and she said, "Mommy, will you hold my hands?" I said yes. She tucked her bunny under one arm and Jesse under the other, and just looked at me with the saddest eyes.

Then the needle went in.

And she wailed.

And as I held her hands and watched her cry, I promised her that when this was over I would take her ANYWHERE she wanted to go!

I remember when AC got her 4-year-old shots, she chose to go to Peggy Ann Bakery for cookies.

So I offered that to LB along with ice cream. Just name it and we'll go!

Her choice?

The library.

So we went to the big one downtown and we read all kinds of books. We picked out three for LB and took three home to AC.

I'm telling you, this child is my hero. I told her she was brave and she said, "No I'm not, Mommy! I cried!"

She's brave to me. Give me five shots, and you'll hear me screaming across town!

1 comment:

Coyzmum said...

Oh, I remember that. My son Coy's lip started trembling when they laid out those shots and I cried right along with him. The good news was they told him then no more until he is 11. He's only 5 now. Bad news was last year when we went to get flu "mists", they were out and he had to get a shot. I felt like I had personally lied to him. But he's a trooper too and I tell him it's actually better to get them than not.