Shabby Blog Background

Thursday, September 23, 2010

She's Come a Long Way

It is absolutely surreal to me that I am at that point in my life where I am attending parent/teacher conferences.

But, alas, I am.

Chris and I attended our first one this afternoon. First of all, I am crazy about Ann Catherine's teacher and her absolute love for the children in her class. It is a beautiful thing.

Secondly, Chris and I thought we were going to hear things such as: how she follows directions, does she play well with others, how she traces her letters and colors her pictures.

Oh no. Let's just say kindergarten has changed since Chris and I were there.

They tested the children the first week of school and were able to show us how she did in sound fluency, letter recognition, etc. It was unreal.

It's not that I thought she was just sitting there coloring pictures all day. But I am just absolutely amazed at what she has learned so far and what they are doing in kindergarten. The progress she has made from the first week of school until now has just been unbelievable. The first week she was so tired she couldn't see straight. School was "just so long!"

It's still long, mind you. But she can't wait to do her "homework" each night. And every spare moment she has, she's drawing pictures or writing words in her notebook. She has settled in nicely.

My favorite part was when her teacher shared her journal with us. This will become a treasured keepsake for years to come. And the picture she drew of me? Let's just say I had no idea my head was THAT large! :)

No comments: