Shabby Blog Background

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Night the Girls met St. Nick


In honor of football season starting this weekend, I thought I would share this.

In May, the girls and I went to the beach with my parents. My sister, who lives in nearby Pensacola, called and said Nick Saban was going to be speaking to their alumni group that night. She and my brother-in-law were going, but they found out at the last minute that he was doing a "meet and greet" and would autograph items free for children. Were we interested in letting the girls come?

Why yes I was!

My sister had been told that he would either:

1. Sign an item for the children, or
2. Have his picture made with them,

but not both. I opted for his autograph for the girls. So Mom and Dad scooped up the kids and off they went to the mall to get some Bama gear. They got a National Championship football and an Alabama hat so each girl would have something.

They arrived and got in line. Once the girls got up there, Coach Saban said hello to the girls and signed their items. Then he said, "Would they also like their picture made with me?" My parents weren't expecting that and didn't have a camera. Luckily, my brother-in-law was standing nearby with his camera and snapped the picture. (Okay, okay - so he's not looking at the right camera. You take what you can get!!)

My mother said he was so incredibly kind to the girls. We always see the focused and intense side of him and my mom said it was so neat to see this other softer side of him.

So the girls got their picture made with arguably the greatest college coach in the country, and had no idea what all of the fuss was about.

Maybe years later when I show them this picture they'll be impressed :)

Roll Tide!