Shabby Blog Background

Monday, May 21, 2007

Terrible Twos


Ann Catherine will turn two-years-old in a couple of weeks.

You know what that means.

The TERRIBLE TWOS!

Maybe terrible is too strong a word. After all, she can be so sweet. When I tell her I love her, she has starting saying, "Luf you too." It just melts my heart.

But my little sunshine can also be incredibly headstrong, strong-willed and bull-headed.

In the South, this is what we call "payin' for your raisin'."

I was exactly that way as a child. In fact, my mother gets a good laugh these days watching me try to reason with Ann Catherine when she refuses to listen. I say the fact that Ann Catherine acts just like I did is proof that God has a sense of humor.

Don't get me wrong. In a way, I'm glad she's like that. I think it's important for little girls to be assertive and independent. I don't ever want her to think it's okay for someone to run over her or take advantage of her.

But boy, is it tough right now.

I think we're right on the cusp of the terrible twos. Just last night, I asked Ann Catherine to pick up the diapers she had scattered on her bedroom floor.

For the first time ever, she looked me square in the eye and said, "no." In fact, this is pretty much how the dialogue went.

Me: Ann Catherine, pick up your diapers.

AC: No.

Me: Ann Catherine, be a happy helper and pick up your diapers.

AC: No.

Me: Ann Catherine, don't tell your mommy no. Pick up your diapers.

AC: Nope.

You get the picture. Same story this morning when she poured her goldfish on the floor.

God grant me patience over this next year.

I'm gonna need it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw! I feel for you. But the "terrible twos" really is a good thing. She is learning both what boundaries are concrete and effective ways to get what she wants. It's a great sign that she is maturing and developing well!

And when it gets really hard on you just try and remember that it will be over in a flash. So soak it all in and laugh as much as possible!