Shabby Blog Background

Friday, November 12, 2010

Thank You Veterans




Each year I have wanted to take my daughters to the Veteran's Day Parade.

But each year it's either been too cold or my kids have been sick.

Yesterday it all came together. 70 degree weather and my kids were healthy (save for the occasional runny nose). What are the odds?

My friend, Brooke, and I loaded up our girls and took them to the parade. And it was so much fun!

Just before it started, some people came down the route and handed out small American flags. Brooke and I taught the girls the "USA" chant - and oh my word - did they do it. Over. And over. And over again. If you stood anywhere near us, you might have been going crazy about thirty minutes in. :)

The funniest part was that at the end of each USA chant, Lily Baker would throw out a "Roll Tide Roll!!" The only parades my girls have been to are the Alabama homecoming parades so LB thinks that's what you yell at a parade! :)

We also told the girls that each time a group of veterans came by, to wave their American flags and say "thank you!" That was the most precious part of all. The looks on the faces of those men and women were so touching. One man looked like he was going to cry.

I think we live in a world where our veterans are so forgotten. And to see these little girls waving an American flag and saying, "thank you" just had to touch their hearts. It certainly did mine.

What a great opportunity to teach our children that freedom isn't free. That someone's son, daughter, daddy, or mommy sacrifices so much to make sure we are free. And safe.

Thank you to those of you who do, or have done, that!









No comments: