Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Our Short Getaway



Chris and I just returned from a wedding on Amelia Island.

It was a wonderful getaway for us. Both of us got to fulfill dreams:

1. Chris got to play golf at TPC Sawgrass
2. I went to the Spa at the Ritz Carlton

(Okay, okay - so some of my dreams are completely superficial. What can I say??)

My hubby surprised me by booking a massage and manicure for me the morning of the wedding (while he was playing golf at Sawgrass). To quote my girls' favorite children's character, Fancy Nancy, "Ooh La La!" The massage was fabulous. After that, I drove back downtown to Fernandina Beach and walked around the Arts Festival. Then I had lunch outside overlooking the water. I took my book and read while I ate. It was Heaven. Someone asked me the day before if I would be okay by myself. My response? I have young children. I can't even go to the bathroom alone. I could not have been happier to be alone. :)

Instead of staying on the beach, Chris opted for the downtown area of Fernandina Beach when booking our reservations. We can visit the beach anytime. He knew that I would love visiting the unique shops in the beautiful downtown area. And he was right! Just this month, the downtown area of FB was in Southern Living as the "number one small town weekend getaway." You southern ladies know, if Southern Living says it, it must be true! And to suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.



(This is my very bad attempt to recreate the picture that was in Southern Living!)

There were some hilarious moments on this trip. Highlights include:

1. Our rental car.

We went to Priceline to get the best deal and asked for a full-sized sedan. Boy did we get one. I'm not going to name it, just in case any of you have one, but let's just say we were the only couple under 75 driving it. The look on the bellhops faces when I pulled into the Ritz to valet park and got out of that boat was priceless.

2. Even when your kids aren't with you, they leave little reminders for you.

I have a small Louis Vuitton purse that I use for weddings or occasions where I need a small purse. When I'm not using it, Ann Catherine likes to walk around the house with it on her shoulder. On the way to the wedding party on Friday night, I reached into the purse for my lipstick and pulled out an Ariel wand. Chris and I got a good laugh out of that.

3. It's always more fun at Mimi and Poppy's house

Ann Catherine got on the phone Friday night and giggling so hard she could barely talk, she told me, "We're eating chocolate, drinking Dr. Pepper and staying up late!" Good for them. That's what you're supposed to do at your grandparent's house.

As much fun as we had, the best moment for me occurred when we got home. The look on Ann Catherine's face when she saw me at the airport absolutely melted my heart. As long as I live, no one will ever be so glad to see me.

It's what I love about being a mommy :)

No comments: