Shabby Blog Background

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I'm a Big Girl, Mommy!

Lily was telling me the other day about a little boy in her class who had cried that day.

"Why was he crying?" I asked.

"Because he wanted his mommy," she answered.

"Did you want your mommy?" I asked, quite sure that the answering would be a resounding "Yes!" (or at least hoping it would :)

Instead she said, "No! I don't cry. I'm a big girl, mommy!"

Like a knife to my heart.

You know what it's like with the youngest. You just want them to stay babies forever and when you realize they are growing up, it's like getting side-swiped.

Oh, I know she still needs me. She can't get the Orange Juice down by herself (and those of you know LB know that she drinks about a gallon a day!). Until she can, I can be assured to hear, "Mommy, I need you!" as if it's the most pressing thing in the universe.

But she doesn't need me for everything anymore. Because of that, I do find myself hugging her a little harder these days, snuggling a little bit more.

'Cause you know what?

I need her as much as she needs me.

1 comment:

hamradiotv said...

That is a sign that Lb is Growing up.