Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

'This' is Wonderful

You know how sometimes your kids say things and you think, "I have to write this down!"

You do it partly so you won't forget it. You also do it so when they hit puberty and go from thinking you're the greatest person on Earth to thinking you're an idiot, you'll remember how much they once loved you. :)

I had one of those moments yesterday.

We were sitting at the kitchen table after school. Ann Catherine was working on her homework and Lily Baker was eating mac and cheese. It was just one of those neat moments. The house was quiet, sunlight was streaming through my kitchen window and I was with my girls. I silently thanked God for allowing me to have this time with them.

About two seconds later Lily Baker said, "Mommy, let's all tell what's been our favorite part of the day. I'll go first."

"Okay," I said. I waited to hear some cute story of her playing with her friends at school that morning.

"This," she said simply. "What?" I asked. I didn't know what she was talking about.

"This!" she said, getting a little irritated. I just looked at her, still confused.

"This, mama," she explained. "Just being here with you."

I didn't know what to say. I was so touched, especially coming from Lily Baker. She's not my sentimental child.

"Me too," I told her. "'This' is my favorite thing today too."

And it was, because 'this' is perfect.

No comments: