Shabby Blog Background

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Goodbye Kindergarten!


As I tucked Ann Catherine in Tuesday night, I told her I couldn't believe this school year was almost over. It just seems like yesterday that Chris and I walked her into her kindergarten class on the first day of school. Since she was our oldest child, it seemed like such a huge step. And now here we are closing the book on that chapter.

I went back last night and read that post from a year ago. It brought tears to my eyes thinking of the pain I felt when I left Ann Catherine at school on that first morning. No, I wasn't sad that she was starting kindergarten. In fact, I didn't even cry for her.

I cried for Melissa.

I cried because we took one child to school that morning to start kindergarten instead of two.

Now here we are nine months later and what a year it's been. AC can do things that she couldn't do nine months ago. Read. Spell words. Count coins.

I also learned some things about her. She is tougher than I thought. She doesn't need me every minute of the day. Her independence has multiplied.

But it's more than that. It's the overwhelming sense of gratitude I have that she's here. How incredibly blessed we are that almost six years after entering the world 14 weeks early and weighing less than two pounds, that she even had the chance to go to kindergarten.

To celebrate her last day, we went to get ice cream with our friends. The girls had a blast!





A great ending to a great school year :)

3 comments:

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

It truly does fly by!! It seems like I was just posting about Sam going to Kindergarten and now he is off to 2nd. :((
Hope y'all have a wonderful summer!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, what a touching post. I'm so sorry about your little Melissa. I was terrified I would go into labor early with both of my boys. I was put on bedrest for a couple of months with my first one. I can see how it would be very bittersweet. My oldest recently turned four, and I was just amazed at how quickly time had passed.
Best to you and your sweet family.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Ann Catherine is just adorable!