Shabby Blog Background

Friday, May 13, 2011

Put Down that List!

Yesterday was an “errand day.” I had a list of things that Lily Baker and I needed to do and we needed to do them before we picked Ann Catherine up from school.

For those of you who don’t know, I’m a list person. I love love love a list. And I love marking things off as I do them. I even put “wake up” and “go to bed” on my list just so I can cross them off.

Okay, I don’t really do that. I’m not that bad. Yet.

Chris helped me out yesterday morning by taking AC to school. As soon as they left, I informed LB that I had get ready.

“Will you watch Snow White with me, Mommy?” she asked. The movie had just started.

“Lily Baker, Mommy has to get ready. We have lots of things to do today!”

“Please Mommy! Pleeeeeease!” she pleaded.

I started cleaning the kitchen. She asked at least five more times. As she usually does, she finally wore me down.

“Okay, but I can only watch a little of it,” I told her. “Mommy has to get ready. We’ve got to get going!”

“No, Mommy,“ she informed me. “You have to watch the WHOLE movie.”

The next thing I knew, we were halfway through it. As we snuggled on the sofa, LB provided commentary.

“Mama, that’s Sneezy. See, he sneezes a lot.”

“Mama, look at Dopey. He’s crazy.”

“Mama, that Queen is mean! God DOES NOT love her.”

“Mama, this is where Snow White eats the poisoned apple.”

“Mama, this is where her prince comes!”

We watched the entire movie. It was wonderful. I don’t think I’ve watched Snow White in thirty years. Then I got ready and we went on our merry way.

How many special moments do I miss with my kids because I’m in such a hurry to cross things off a list? I mean, thanks to LB’s persistence, I actually had a conversation with my daughter that went like this: “Well, God DOES love the wicked queen. He just doesn’t love what she’s doing to Snow White.” Oh yes, I did.

And you know what? We still got a lot done after the movie.

Did I cross everything off my list yesterday?

No, I didn’t.

Was it completely worth blowing off to watch Snow White with LB?

Absolutely.

No comments: