Shabby Blog Background

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Why I Love Having Girls

I have to emcee a black-tie event next week. That means I have to wear a floor length gown.

In an effort to save money, I am wearing one I already own. I have two of them, one of which - I kid you not - I wore to a formal my senior year in college. It's simple and timeless so it works fifteen years later. How's that for an investment?!

Chris had to work this morning, and I needed an opinion. So I asked the girls if I could try them on for them. They were estatic!

They sat on my bed and I went in my closet to change. When I came out, you would have thought that Cinderella herself had emerged, when in all honesty I looked more like Anastasia and Drusilla: I hadn't showered, I didn't have on a stitch of makeup and my hair was a mess. They didn't even notice. Instead, their mouths were wide open and their eyes twinkled.

"Try on another one, Mommy!" they squealed with delight. And so I did.

When I came out, they clapped their hands and oohed and aahed, especially since this one criss-crossed in the back.

They really weren't much help. AC liked the black one and LB liked the red one. I'm leaning towards LB's choice.

But I can promise you this. When I get all glammed up for the event next week, I'm quite sure I won't feel as pretty as I did when I tried them on for my girls. :)

1 comment:

Angie said...

LOVE IT!!! I have two girls also -16+ and 21+. I remember dress up days so well . . . and I miss them!