Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

You Gotta Marry Your Best Friend

Our church just wrapped up a great series called "For Better or For Worse." When we say our vows, we all expect the "better" but what happens when the "worse" happens instead?

Chris and I can identify so well with that. We know how the "worse" feels because it happened the day our daughter died. We lived through it. And I can honestly say our marriage is stronger today than it ever was.

Here's my point: you gotta marry your best friend. Attraction only goes so far. Eventually, waste lines will get a little bigger, wrinkles will appear, hair lines will recede (though Chris' won't - he has quite the head o' hair :), kids will be born, you'll find you don't have quite as much time for the little things and it just gets nuts. What happens then?

I like to say you get married...then life happens. If that marriage isn't built on love and friendship - and GOD - forget it. When the "worse" happens, you'll crumble.

I thought about this as we watched "The Batchelor" drama. Let me preface this by saying, I HATE reality tv but Chris and I watched this season because of Stephanie Hogan (who by the way, had SO MUCH class and dignity on the show, didn't she?! I was very proud to say she was from HuntsVegas.) We totally got drawn in, and watched in jaw-dropping disbelief last night as the 'he picked Melissa, wait a minute he meant Molly' drama unfolded. (On a side note, I am all about a man showing his soft side but if he cried ONE MORE TIME I was going to throw something through my television!)

Anyhoo, Chris made the comment 'why is anyone surprised by this? He's been making out with different girls for six weeks and then all of a sudden he has to choose who he's going to spend the rest of his life with?? Come on!'

I agree. It just backs up my point - you gotta marry your best friend!! Marriage is a beautiful, awesome ride but it's also marred with some rough roads and gigantic potholes. Buckle up with the one you love - but make sure that love is built on a solid foundation or those giant potholes will swallow you up.

2 comments:

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

THIS IS SO TRUE!

As for the bachelor, I dont even know why I let myself watch it?!?!
Still can believe how it turned out!


~Jennifer

Daddy Dale and Mommy Jen said...

Amy,
So So true! Valid point :)