Shabby Blog Background

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Only in Alabama



Only in Alabama can your children play in the sprinkler during the week of fall break!

We went to Tuscaloosa for the 'Bama game this weekend. On the way home, we noticed it was 86 degrees outside. Once we got home, Ann Catherine and Lily wanted to go in the backyard and play. It was so hot! Ann Catherine asked if she could play in the sprinkler, and I thought, "Why not?"

They had so much fun. The funniest part was when they would try to drink the water coming out of the sprinkler (that's what Ann Catherine was trying to do in the second picture). Only in the south can you play outside in the your bathing suit during October.

On a different note, something totally unexpected happened tonight at bedtime. Just before she said her prayers tonight, Ann Catherine said, "Mommy, I'm going to pray for Melissa tonight." I can't tell you how much that comment caught me off guard. We hadn't been talking about Melissa, and it just came out of the blue. Chris and I just looked at each other and said, "Okay." Ann Catherine started her prayer by saying, "Dear Jesus, thank you for Melissa." And then went on to pray for the rest of the family. Chris and I opened our eyes and just stared at each other. We didn't need to say anything. I know we were thinking the same thing.

I was absolutely speechless. When she finished I held her and kissed her and told her that I thought it was so sweet that she prayed for Melissa. Chris said, "She's your angel" and Ann Catherine said, "Yes, she is."

These are the moments that just touch my heart. They are completely unexpected, which is probably what makes them even more special. Ann Catherine doesn't fully understand everything yet, but the fact that she thinks about Melissa and talks about her is just so special to me. It proves to me that, as twins, Ann Catherine and Melissa shared (and still share, I believe) such a bond. I can't explain it or put it into words, but I believe it exists. And I'm so grateful for that.

No comments: