Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My First Days on the Job

Yesterday I started my new career as a stay at home mom.

It was absolutely wonderful.

Have you ever noticed how God sends us signs to reassure us we've made the right decision? Lily came down with a cold this weekend in Tuscaloosa. Nothing major, but she just felt so crummy on the way home Sunday afternoon. And for the first time, I didn't have to worry about what I was going to do. I was going to stay home and take care of my daughter. It was as if God was saying, "See, this is why I wanted you to do this."

That was the greatest feeling. Just knowing that I could stay home and take care of her, without worrying about the meetings or work I was missing, was just so rewarding to me as a mother.

I let both of them sleep in because they were so tired from our busy weekend. Lily woke up first and we just snuggled in the recliner while we watched Playhouse Disney. After breakfast, Ann Catherine wanted to put on her Belle dress. "Sure," I thought. "Why not?" We didn't have to be anywhere. It was so nice to not be rushed in the morning.

When they woke up from their naps, we went out in the backyard and played. It was just so much fun. The three of us sat on the ground, throwing the ball back and forth, and looking up at the clouds and guessing what shapes we saw. At one point, I said out loud, "Thank you God for this."

I am so grateful to have this opportunity, because I know a lot of mothers do not. I am grateful to have this time with my girls, and I'm grateful to be able to spend time with them without worrying about where we need to be.

Of course it's tough at times. Lily didn't want to take a nap today and it was tough. She was pretty ill, and I didn't get to do some things I wanted to do while they napped. But that's okay. That's part of it.

I'm just glad to be here...with them.

No comments: