Shabby Blog Background

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Is It That Time Already?!

The girls and I were playing on LB's bed this afternoon when AC said, "Mommy, we practiced graduation today!"

I popped up and said, "You did! Tell me about it."

And she proceeded to tell me how she put on her "hat and costume" (known to you and I as a cap and gown) and walked around.

I thought I was going to burst into tears right then and there.

AC will graduate in May from the four-year-old class at her preschool. And they actually wear a cap and gown at the ceremony.

It will be easy to spot me. I'll be the mother in the corner in the fetal position bawling her eyes out.

Maybe not that bad. But this "graduation" is such a reminder of how quickly these almost five years have flown by.

Seriously. I know it is such a cliche that all parents feel the need to tell other parents, "Enjoy it because it goes by so fast."

And when you are at home with two children under the age of two and one is crying while the other is tossing food from her high chair onto the floor, you think that can't possibly be true.

But it is.

I was reminded today of how AC is moving into that big kid world. On the mornings that they have preschool, my girls love for me to tell them what they are doing that day. When they asked this morning, I glanced at the calendar and said, "Lily Baker, you're learning about the Itsy Bitsy Spider!" and she was thrilled!

It's a little harder when I get to AC's calendar. She's in a pre-k class and, while they do have fun, they are also getting the children ready for kindergarten. It's just not as exciting as the Itsy Bitsy Spider. :)

So I mustered up all the excitement I could and said, "Well, you're going to chapel and you'll hear your Bible story. AND you'll be blending J's and Q's! (with an emphasis on the word "blending" because somehow I thought that would make it more interesting). She perked up and said,

"Like, into a smoothie?!"

No, no, my sweet child. No smoothies. Just good old fashioned ABC learning.

Welcome to the real world, my big kid.

It's not near as interesting as the Itsy Bitsy Spider.

1 comment:

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Oh am I feeling your pain!! It seems like I was just posting on Sam going to Kindergarten and now its time for "K" graduation. He's been telling me all about practice too! And yes I will be one of those moma's crying my eyes out =(
If we could only slow down time just a little....