Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Please Watch This!!

If you only watch one video online this entire week, watch this one!!

It's an AMAZING story that Jerry Hayes did last night on WHNT News 19. It's a day in the life of a NICU nurse at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children. It's about the ups and downs these incredible nurses face on a daily basis.

We were in the NICU on the best day of our lives - the day we brought Ann Catherine home from the NICU after 68 days. We were also there on the worst day of our lives - the day Melissa died. Those nurses wrapped their arms around us during those dark days and the days after. As I would sit by Ann Catherine bedside on days that I was still grieving Melissa's death, they would listen, hug me, encourage me - they were just wonderful. So many people forget that NICU nurses are there on the absolute worst day of a person's life - the death of their child. They are human and they feel your pain, too. I am convinced that they are angels.

I must warn you, this story is a tearjerker. Chris and I cried as we watched it last night because it just brought back so many memories of Melissa's death. But it really does shed light on the amazing job these men and women do everyday. They really are unsung heroes - and anyone who has ever had a child in NICU can attest to that.

By the way, donations to the Melissa George Neonatal Memorial Fund go to purchase the memory boxes they talk about in this story. I have blogged before about Melissa's box and how it's the only tangible reminder I have of her. If I didn't have that box with her personal items, I don't know what I would do. It is such a comfort to me on the hard days. It is, by far, the most inexpensive purchase made by Melissa's fund but the one that means the most to us because we know personally what those boxes mean to a mom and dad who have lost a child. So know that donations you make to Melissa's fund not only go to help premature babies, but also go to help those families who have lost their precious children.

 

8 comments:

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Amy,
Chad and I watched that video on the news last night and it brought both of us to tears as well. Those nurses are amazing!! Being that Im a nurse as well, I know not just anyone can be a NICU nurse, it takes a very certain special person!! I have always worked in the OB-GYN field and have seen some sad times on that side as well. And as for anyone as yourself that has had to experience the NICU, I have to say I simly cant even imagine!! I am so sorry for all that you guys have had to experience through the loss of Melissa but it just touches my heart how God has used that whole experience, Absolutely Amazing!! Love you guys!!

~hugs~
Jennifer

Anna said...

Thank you so much for sharing this clip.

V said...

I just watched the video and it really was a tear jerker. Even though my son survived and is now a wonderfully healthy 2 year old it brought back so many memories of the days went spent there.

Thank you so much for sharing this video on your blog.

TinyPeopleNurse said...

Man, I am crying after watching that clip. Sincerely the nurses and doctors of our NICU are amazing people. I knew that when we were there though. I'm so glad Jerry did that piece to show others how wonderful these folks really are!

Amy said...

They are amazing, aren't they? And Jerry did a wonderful job - just as I knew he would.

Amy

The Hull Munchkins said...

What a great presentation of the NICU world to those who haven't seen it. NICU nurses truly are special people. We still keep in touch with our primary nurses almost 6 years after Abby's 6 month stay... they are family now.

-Patty

hamradiotv said...

Any
Thank you so much for sharing this Video.

The HoneaBees said...

I am so glad you had this clip because I missed it, but wanted to see it.
He did a great job on it.
Hope Swim for Melissa is a success for you!