Shabby Blog Background

Monday, July 20, 2009

Mammograms - Here's my PSA

I got my first mammogram last week. Nothing is wrong, it's just that I'm at that age where doctors like for you to get a baseline mammogram. (I can't believe I'm that age, but I am :)

I don't think any woman is thrilled at the prospect of going to get a mammogram. But, ladies here's the deal. It wasn't that bad. Honestly. I mean, it's a little uncomfortable but it was over very quickly.

I went to the Breast Center at Huntsville Hospital and I can't say enough about how professional and courteous they were, from the front office staff to the technician who did my mammogram. The entire thing, from the time I walked in until I left, took only thirty minutes. When was the last time that happened at the doctor's office?!

Now, having said that, let me say this. You will be amazed at how flat they can squish those puppies. I'm serious. It's unbelievable. You won't believe it until you look down and see it for yourself. I'm telling you - it's just not natural.

But, here's how I see it. I have two little girls who need their mother. I can take a few minutes of discomfort if it means I get to hang around on this Earth a bit longer with them. So if are 35 or older and haven't gotten your mammogram yet, do it! Mammograms can detect spots that a self breast examination won't notice. They can literally save your life!

And when you do go, be sure to look down and see those flat little pancakes for themselves. No matter how flat-chested you are, it can give you hope. At least you'll never be that flat. :)

4 comments:

The Titsworth Family said...

Amy, you've got me cracking up in my cubicle! Great Monday morning topic. I dread the day I have to do a mammogram but you've given me hope. And I'll be sure to look at my flat "puppies" and will probably start giggling uncontrollably at the thought.

Amy J. said...

Too Funny! Thanks for the laugh and for sharing your beautiful family....I love to read your posts!

Amy in Fort Payne

The HoneaBees said...

Hilarious! I am not sure if they will be able to scoop all of mine up into some sort of pancake press. After nursing 2 kids, those thing are hanging all over the place!

Amy said...

Yeah, I thought the same thing - but you'd be surprised :)