Shabby Blog Background

Sunday, August 12, 2007

We Made Our Goal - AND THEN SOME!!!!!

I still feel like I'm dreaming and someone is going to pinch me and tell me it didn't happen.

Our goal for the 2nd Annual Swim for Melissa was to raise enough to buy a Giraffe OmniBed for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children. Those beds are $36,000.

Not only did we raise enough to buy ONE of those beds, we raised enough to buy TWO of them - and may still be able to buy THREE!!

The unofficial total as of Saturday afternoon was more than $105,000!! And we still have money coming in.

Now you realize why I am still walking around in the clouds.

If someone had told me that we would raise more than $100,000 in just our second year, I would have told them they were crazy!

But I believe this shows how people feel about Melissa's Fund. I think we have proven that we are good stewards of their money and that we are truly making a difference in the lives of premature infants and their families.

This money was raised from both Miracle Bash and Swim for Melissa. Miracle Bash was just a blast! It was so much fun and attendance was just amazing! And Swim for Melissa was so successful. Watching those little girls and boys swim for the cause was just so touching.

Special thanks to my partner, Jerry Hayes. (He's still my partner - even if we don't anchor together anymore!) Jerry emceed the Miracle Bash and then was at the pool bright and early to emcee Swim for Melissa. Folks, it was so hot Saturday! We were sweating like crazy! And Jerry hung in there and stood in that hot sun from 8:15am-2pm to emcee our event. I don't know what I would do without him!

Thanks again to everyone who made Swim for Melissa such a great success! This success is possible because of the support and donations we have received from the community. I am in awe and completely overwhelmed by what we've been able to accomplish in just two years. When I think of the babies who will benefit, I get a lump in my throat.

I will post pictures soon. And I'll let you know how many Giraffe Beds we are able to buy!

2 comments:

Luna said...

Amy;
That is SO wonderful that you were able to raise so much money!!!! I am so glad that the Nicu will benefit from this! Congrats! Hope to see you at the next event!

Amy said...

Thanks, Diana! We are so excited!! By the way, by looking at the photo it seems like little Bryant has grown! He's adorable!!