Shabby Blog Background

Friday, August 3, 2007

Back on the Anchor Desk

I returned to the anchor desk Thursday night at 6.

Not as an anchor of the news. Instead, I was reporting on the latest purchase of the Melissa George Neonatal Memorial Fund.

Remember the Huntsville Havoc hockey game back in January where they auctioned off pink jerseys with Melissa's logo and raised more than $54,000? We purchased a Giraffe Isolette with that money and it's now up and running in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children.

I was so proud of that purchase because the jersey auction was such an incredible night. And then to see this precious baby boy named Lucas in that bed made it even better!

To see the story, click here. It's under "Featured Videos" and is called "Havoc Hockey Fans Buy Life Saving Equipment for Babies."

By the way, the Huntsville Havoc is dedicating another night to Melissa's Fund. On February 2nd, they'll wear blue jerseys with Melissa's logo and auction them off after the game. I can't wait to see how much money we raise!

Our other big fundraiser - Swim for Melissa - is next weekend and the money raised from that night will go to purchase a Giraffe OmniBed, a state-of-the-art bed for critically ill premature infants. Tune in Monday night on NewsChannel 19 at 10, where I'll show you a one pound 13 ounce beautiful baby girl named Ava who is benefiting from one of two Giraffe OmniBeds Melissa's Fund has bought for the NICU. Trust me, this story will truly touch your heart.

As for being back on the desk, I had a lot of people tell me Friday how nice it was seeing me back on TV and I really appreciate that. And I do miss seeing Jerry everyday (although we still talk on the phone all the time, so sometimes it's like I never left!)

But I must admit, I still know I'm doing the right thing.

At 6pm, instead of being on the anchor desk in my suit and makeup, I'm usually on the floor with Ann Catherine and Lily crawling all over me.

Not as glamorous, I know.

But still - so much better.

No comments: