Shabby Blog Background

Monday, May 17, 2010

Another Year


Today I celebrated another glorious year of living.

When Chris got home tonight, I told him I realized something about birthdays today. As you get older, they lose a little pizazz.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I had a wonderful birthday. LB started off my day by crawling into my bed this morning and snuggling with me. My precious Ann Catherine woke up and the first words out of her mouth were, "Happy Birthday, Mommy!" I couldn't believe she remembered!

But here's the funny thing. Remember when you were little and you thought the world revolved around your birthday? You grow up and realize that even though it's your big day, it's still just that - a day. A day to run errands. A day to buy groceries. A day to get the kids where they need to be. The world keeps turning and you still have things to do.

Maybe it's because it was on a Monday this year, but I laughed as I told Chris about my exciting day. First LB and I dropped AC off at school. Then we ran a laundry list of errands, including the grocery store, the bank and the cleaners. After we picked up AC, we went to gymnastics.

Once we got home, I looked at my dirty floors and realized they needed to be vacuumed. At first I thought, "I am not vacuuming on my birthday!" Then I realized I couldn't stand the dirt any longer, and broke out my vacuum.

I vacuumed the house on my birthday.

Riveting, isn't it?

Once Chris got home, he and the girls took me to Rosie's where we had dinner and they gave me my gifts. It was great! And the rest of my day was great, too. It's just funny because birthday or no birthday, you still have things you gotta do.

And in the end, none of that really matters. Because my birthday means that God gave me another year to be a wife to my wonderful husband and a mommy to two little girls that I am absolutely crazy about.

And that's what makes this day special.

4 comments:

The HoneaBees said...

Happy Birthday girl! I guess it's called being a mommy-our job now is to make our kids' b-days a big deal. Imagine how our mom's felt.

The Titsworth Family said...

Happy Birthday Amy!

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Happy birthday Amy!!

Melissa @ The Littlest Lobo said...

Happy Birthday, Amy! I agree, birthdays lose their pizzazz as you get older. Of course, my birthday is on a holiday so it's a real struggle to find anything open to even go out to eat!