Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More Thoughts about Butterflies

I gave more thought today to the concept of releasing butterflies in memory of your child. (Read my post below to learn more about how butterflies were released this weekend in memory of Tori Wilhoit).

I remembered that as Melissa and her family were releasing the butterflies, none of them immediately flew away. They almost had to be given a little nudge and almost pushed out. But, once they finally left the plastic glass, away they went. They fluttered their wings and flew through the air so effortlessly.

I thought of my own daughter and it seemed symbolic. I'm sure she probably didn't want to leave me, Chris and Ann Catherine at first. I'm sure she wanted to stay with us and live here. But once we were able to let her go, she was able to fly away. She was able to leave her sick body that she was trapped in, and was released into something so special.

Letting go is the hardest part. It's not natural to say goodbye to your child. It's not natural to let them go.

I don't think I'll ever look at a butterfly the same way again. As I see that beautiful creature fly, I'll think of my sweet and brave daughter. It will serve as a loving reminder to me of my Melissa and the beautiful being that she is.

No comments: