Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Celebrating Tori's Life

Those of you who faithfully read my blog may remember a post I wrote in July about a little girl named Tori Wilhoit. (If you haven't, click on "July" on the right-hand side of this page and scroll down to "Tori is Still Making a Difference.")

Tori was born on September 20, 2007. She was immediately taken to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children, but was moved in November to Vanderbilt. I followed her life on the Caring Bridge website created by her mother, Melissa. This precious baby endured more than any child should ever have to endure. But, through it all, her mother's faith never wavered. Melissa was such an inspiration to me, as was Tori. When she died in March at the tender age of six months, I cried and cried. I had never met this little girl, yet, I felt like I knew her.

This Saturday is the anniversary of Tori's birth. Please lift Melissa and her family up in prayer this week. When you lose a child, each "first" is hard - the first birthday, the first Christmas, the first Easter, etc. But for me, the day that would have been my Melissa's first birthday was by far the hardest. It just brings back a flood of emotions, and reminds you that the sweet baby you brought into the world is no longer here.

Just as my Melissa, Tori's life had purpose. Her life and her mother's faith have touched so many people, and strengthened the faith of those people, as well. Tori is an angel in Heaven and I know she is so proud of her mommy and how she has continued to live, even on the days when it just hurts so bad.

Melissa is having a special get-together on Saturday to celebrate Tori's life, and I'm planning to go. I feel honored to be part of this special celebration. Melissa is asking those who come to bring items for the NICU in honor of Tori's life. Even in her death, Tori is making a difference in the lives of other premature infants and their families.

Please remember the Wilhoits this week as they approach this bittersweet day. Lift them up and pray for them. If you have a chance, click here to read Melissa's blog and learn more about this angel named Tori.

No comments: