Shabby Blog Background

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ann Catherine's First Bama Game!







Saturday was a milestone for Ann Catherine. It was her first time to go to a 'Bama game!

My mother offered to keep Lily so we could take Ann Catherine to her first game. It worked out perfectly for two reasons. One, the opponent was Western Kentucky so it wasn't as intense as an SEC game. And two, it was a 6 p.m. kickoff, so it wasn't so sweltering hot.

She had a great time. For the first quarter, she was just mesmerized. The sounds, the sights, the band, the cheerleaders, the football players and the occasional "Mommy, there's big Al!" She played with my binoculars and took some pictures with the camera.

Midway through the second quarter, boredom set in. I mean, there's just so much that can hold a three-year-old's attention. It didn't help that she had to sit in my lap the whole time. So, at halftime we left.

It didn't matter. Being an Alabama graduate, it was very special for me to be able to take Ann Catherine to a game. And as always with her, it was just another reminder of how blessed we are to have her. As she sat in my lap, cheering and shaking her shaker, my mind wandered back to the NICU as it often does during special moments. I remembered that sick little baby fighting so hard to live. Then I looked at her, and saw this healthy and vibrant three-year-old going to her first football game with mommy and daddy. It was really special.

I'm posting some pictures from our fun weekend. One of the best parts was catching up with my best friend, Olivia, who lives in Tuscaloosa (we were in college together). She's Ann Catherine's godmother and I'm her oldest daughter's godmother. Her girls are 5 and 3 and absolutely precious! We went to their house Friday afternoon and Ann Catherine and Lily had a blast playing with them!

And the cute little dog in one of the pictures? That's Buddy, my niece and nephew's new dog (that's my nephew Will holding him). Buddy made his first trip to Tuscaloosa this weekend. All in all, it was just a fabulous time!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Amy,
WOW! So glad to hear that you all had a great time. I think that Ann Catherine looks so much like you. The Alabama dresses are adorable! I can only imagine how special is was to take her to her first game. I am sure that it is a memory that you will never forget!

The Professor said...

OK, you have to send me a copy of that picture!! Adorable!