Shabby Blog Background

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What Easter Means

My daughters go to a church daycare. In addition to learning their ABCs and 123s, they also learn stories from the Bible.

Wednesday is Bible story day. They learn a Bible story, sing a song that goes with it and color a picture that goes with the story. Chris and I love asking Ann Catherine about it when she gets home.

She has told us how baby Moses was put in a basket, and then how he grew up to say, "Let my people go!" (which she says rather emphatically).

She has told us how Joshua made the walls fall down. And she told us about a man who "couldn't run or jump but Jesus made him run and jump!"

But, what she told us last week brought tears to my eyes.

Ann Catherine's daycare actually celebrated Easter last week because spring break is this week and a lot of the kids are out of town. One day she made a cross and brought it home. When I asked her what the cross meant, she said "Jesus is alive!"

Chris and I just looked at each other in amazement and I said, "That's right, baby. He is alive."

Ann Catherine is such a sponge and soaks up so much. She remembers everything we tell her. But what I love even more is the simplicity of her understanding. She boiled it right down to what Easter really means in just three words. Jesus is alive. It's so simple even a two-year-old can understand.

No comments: