Shabby Blog Background

Monday, January 21, 2008

Lily Got Tubes Today

Lily had her surgery today to put tubes in her ears. She did so good.

Ann Catherine had the same surgery a year ago and it truly changed her life. She had had six ear infections in six months, and antibiotics weren't helping. Once she got tubes, she became a different - and healthier - child.

It was the same with Lily. She had had four ear infections in four months, and rounds of antibiotics and a shot of Rocephin didn't knock them out. It was obvious that she wasn't going to get better.

The surgery itself literally takes 10-15 minutes. By the time you get to the waiting room, the doctor is coming out to tell you the surgery is over.

The WORST part is what comes after: your child coming out of anesthesia. They just become crazy. They hate you, themselves and everyone else. It's a pretty miserable 20 minutes, but once they come out of that, they're fine.

I'm just glad it's over. And I'm glad she had the surgery. Ann Catherine hasn't had a single ear infection since she got tubes and I'm hoping the same holds true for Lily.

When you look at it that way, those 20 minutes of misery are worth it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had that done years ago when I was a kid. When I came around I hit my godmother in the face, I'm told. :-( I don't remember a thing.

Anonymous said...

Amy-
I know how you feel. Shelby had to have an endoscopy last week and I was so nervous about the anesthesia. She did great, we got her on new meds and she is better than ever.
Jenni

Amy said...

Poor Shelby! I'm glad to hear she's doing okay. That anesthesia does crazy things to them!