Shabby Blog Background

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Mommy Can't Get Sick!

I thought I was safe.

It had been 4 days since Chris had been sick, so I must be in the clear.

No such luck.

Around lunchtime Monday, it hit me. I too, had the stomach bug.

And here's the worst part. Ann Catherine was sick too.

Not with the stomach flu. She had a fever and terrible cough. In fact, I was on my way to take her to the doctor when I began to feel sick. When we got there, the nurse started to take her temperature and she started to cry because it scared her. So, I told the nurse to take mine and I said, 'Look Ann Catherine. She's taking mommy's temperature. It doesn't hurt.'

To which the nurse replied, 'Amy, you have a fever too.'

So my mom drove me home in my car and my dad drove Ann Catherine. And I went straight to bed.

Anyone who has had the stomach bug knows how miserable it is. But do you know what also made me miserable?

The fact that my daughter was sick and I couldn't take care of her.

No matter how much little girls love their daddies, they want their mommies when they are sick. And for 24 hours, I could barely get out of bed. It broke my heart that I couldn't take care of her. Yes, she had her daddy and her mimi and poppy. But she wanted her mommy.

I'm back to normal now and Ann Catherine is starting to feel better too. I've tried to spend extra time with her. Tonight, we had the best time in her playroom just reading books and playing.

I guess it must be one of the hardest parts about being a mom. You want to be EVERYTHING to your child. And then you realize, you're just human too.

No comments: