Shabby Blog Background

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Giant Check for Tiny Babies


In previous posts, I told you about the jersey auction that was held through the Huntsville Havoc. Saturday night, we got the check! The picture is a little blurry, but I wanted to show it anyway. That's Dr. Novak standing next to me. She is so special to our family! She is one of the neonatologists in the NICU at Huntsville Hospital. In fact, she was working the day Ann Catherine and Melissa were born. She worked on Melissa and I will never forget all she did for us. She was the one who had to explain to Chris that Melissa's lungs had not developed properly and that the ventilator was doing all the work for her (she had to explain it to Chris because I had an emergency c-section and was still under anesthesia). I think explaining those things to parents is probably one of the hardest jobs of a neonatologist. But she treated Melissa with such love and dignity and I will never forget that. Standing next to her is Dr. Morris and his little boy. Dr. Morris is also a neonatologist and he just moved here within the last year. They accepted the check with us. Dr. Dworsky and Dr. Davison couldn't make it. And the really, really tall guy is Kevin Walker. He's the General Manager of the Huntsville Havoc. We just can't say enough about that organization and what they have done for us.

It was a great night! Lily was also there, but I decided not to take her on the ice. I just don't trust myself walking on the ice. And since Chris was already holding Ann Catherine, he couldn't hold Lily also. So, we just let her sleep in her car seat :) We had to leave after the 2nd period because Ann Catherine was getting tired. Then we learned on the 10pm news that the Havoc came from behind and won the game in a shootout! We are glad to say the Havoc is 2-0 in games involving the Melissa George Neonatal Memorial Fund! We're just looking forward to the day when we can stay for the entire game. Unfortunately, we're probably a couple of years away from that :)

1 comment:

Emerson Mish said...

That was SUCH a memorable night! I played in this game for the Havoc. Winning in overtime was exhilarating not only for us, but the fans on that very special night! I will never forget.

I'm actually on the hunt for my jersey that was auctioned off that evening.