Shabby Blog Background

Monday, July 26, 2010

When Did That Happen?

Last week Ann Catherine and I entered a store, list in hand.

We were buying school supplies.

And as we chose from the array of pencils, notebooks, crayons and folders, I wondered 'how did we get here?'

It was almost surreal. Buying school supplies for my oldest child.

It's such a cliche, but they really do grow up so fast. (Note to those of you with multiple children under the age of 3, I know that sounds insane to you as your life couldn't be any crazier right now, but believe me, it's true).

It seems like just yesterday that I was holding Ann Catherine, rocking her to sleep, watching her take her first steps, say her first words.

And now here we are faced with the life-changing decision of whether to get a Hello Kitty or Barbie notebook.

Seriously, have you been school supply shopping lately? When I was a kid you chose a red, blue or green notebook. Not anymore. Notebooks are plastered with Disney figures and the like. It was torture for my decision-making challenged child. Or maybe it was just torture for me. :)

We left the store, armed with bags of supplies. Once I got home and finally recovered from the fact that my baby was growing up, I got smacked in the face with that reality again.

I noticed Lily Baker's baby blanket on the floor. The one she took to daycare everyday as a baby. The one that covered her each day at naptime. The one that has her name on the tag in black marker so we wouldn't lose it.

And she was using it to cover up her baby dolls.

They really do grow up too fast.

1 comment:

Beth said...

We bought school supplies the other day for both kids. I think I teared up a total of 5 times in Wal-Mart!!