Shabby Blog Background

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mommy, Guess What?!

I had a funny experience this week that proves no matter where I am, or what I'm doing, I will always be - first and foremost - a mommy.

I was having lunch with two of my friends from the hospital. It was part personal and part business. We wanted to catch up with each other, and they also wanted to talk to me about some things concerning Melissa's Fund.

We were just about to order our food when my cell phone rang. I looked down and it was the babysitter's number. I told my friends I had to take the call.

Me: Hello?
AC: Hi, Mommy!
Me: Hi, Ann Catherine. What are you doing?
AC: Mommy, guess what? I poopied!!!

Now, you have to understand, we praise this particular act at our home. I think it goes back to when AC first potty trained and we did the happy dance whenever she went.

Me: You poopied, baby? That's great. (talking as quietly as possible so others wouldn't hear. Not exactly dining conversation!)

At this point, Susan and Candy begin to laugh.

AC: And mommy, guess what?! I clogged the toilet!!

Now, that statement might cause some mothers to worry. Not me. AC clogging the toilet is a regular occurrence at our home (and unfortunately the homes of others.) How someone so small can.... I digress.

Me: You clogged the toilet? Okay. Show Celia where the plunger is and ask her to unclog it.
AC: Oh no, mommy. That's Daddy's job!

Apparently, Chris is the only one that can unclog a toilet. Never mind that I've done it about 85 times already.

I told her again to make sure Celia unclogged the toilet. Then I hung up and laughed about it with my friends. And I called Chris on the way home and shared it with him because I knew he would get a kick out of it.

After I hung up with him, I realized something. No matter how dressed up I get, no matter where I go, I'm still a mom. And whether I'm in a restaurant, a board room or on location at a commercial shoot, I can expect my phone to ring with my child on the other end sharing the details of her latest poop.

That only happens to mothers, you know.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: