Shabby Blog Background

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Getting Over the Funk

Sorry I haven't blogged in a week. The stomach bug made a visit to our house.

We all got it in some form or another. Lily and I were over ours in 24 hours (Chris just got a "smaller version" of it and was only down for a night) but it took poor Ann Catherine about 3 days to truly kick it.

It's so sad when your child has the stomach virus. She kept saying, "Mommy, I'm so thirsty." Then I would give her something and she would throw it right back up. And she just couldn't understand why she couldn't have more.

The hero in all of this is my mother. Ann Catherine and I got the virus within hours of each other, so when the morning rolled around, I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed. There was no way I could have taken care of her and Lily. Chris called my mom and she came over and took care of the girls for me during that day. I can honestly say I don't know what I would do without her. I feel so sorry for moms who don't have their own moms close by. I know I can call her, and without hesitation, she's there - even knowing she might get sick too (which she didn't by the way. I guessed she has built up decades of "mommy immunity.")

When Ann Catherine finally started feeling better she said to me one night, "Mommy and Mimi took care of me." It's true. I couldn't have done it without my mom.

Isn't life strange. Even after our kids are grown with kids of their own, we women continue to take care of them.

It's why God made women so strong. There are a lot of people counting on us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are so right. It is a blessing to have your mom available to help you.
My husband and I adopted a little girl two years ago (I was 40 six weeks after she was born) and I was so frightened. I kept thinking "What do I know about being a mom?" My mother was such a help - she even retired to be my sitter. However, she passed away very suddenly when Susanna was only 13 months old and we all miss her deeply. Don't ever take any of your family for granted, you never know when they will be gone.
I love reading your blog, even if I am behind sometimes.