Shabby Blog Background

Friday, February 15, 2008

Daddy's Little Valentines

When I was a little girl, I could always count on getting something from my daddy on Valentine's Day. If he gave my mother a box of candy, my sister and I would get a smaller box. If he gave her a dozen red roses, we both got 3 red roses.

It was such a powerful statement. It said to me that my daddy was the first man in my life, and he would be there even if those snotty-nosed little boys weren't.

I told Chris about this after Ann Catherine was born, and I told him that he should always give the girls something for Valentine's Day. They should always be able to count on something from him.

He has truly carried through on this. Every Valentine's Day, he gives the girls something. Yesterday, he gave them both a card and some candy (Ann Catherine got a box of chocolates with Belle on front, and Lily got some peeps shaped like a heart.)

It just touches my heart. I want Lily and Ann Catherine to always know that, no matter what, they will always have a man in their life.

And his name is Daddy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE THE SAME FOR DADDYS WITH LITTLE BOYS OR SHOULD THE MOTHER DO IT FOR THE BOYS?

Amy said...

You know, I never thought about that. I kind of think dads should still take the lead, even when you have boys. And I think when dad gives valentine gifts to mommy, it shows little boys how to treat girls. Dads really have a big responsibility!